County of Los Angeles
Department of Consumer Affairs
Shopping by Phone, Mail, and the Internet
Shopping by phone, mail, or the Internet can be convenient and may save you money. You have certain rights if you have problems with your order.
You must receive items by the date promised when you placed your order. If no shipping date is given, your order must be sent to you within 30 days.
If the seller can’t send your order in 30 days, he must do one of the following:
- Cancel the order and give you a full refund within one week, or,
- Notify you in writing how long your order will be delayed and offer to:
- Cancel the order if you don’t want to wait. If you choose to cancel, your money must be refunded in one week, or
- Offer you substitute goods of equal or greater value. You can choose to accept the substitute goods or cancel the order and get a refund within one week, or
- Send you substitute items of equal or greater value. The seller must tell you in writing that the items you received are different, and explain how they are different.; You do not have to accept the substitute goods. The seller must tell you in writing that you can return them for a full refund, including shipping costs, within 30 days.
Contact us for more information or speak with one of our counselors at (800) 593-8222. If you live outside of Southern California, call us at (213) 974-1452.
For more information:
County of Los Angeles Department of Consumer Affairs
B-96 Kenneth Hahn Hall of Administration
500 W. Temple Street *
Los Angeles, CA 90012-2706
Telephone (800) 593-8222 (within LA County)
web site: dca.lacounty.gov