If you are sued in Small Claims Court, you are the Defendant.
The person suing you is the Plaintiff.
- Information for Defendants
- What to do if you are sued in Small Claims Court.
- Naming the Party You are Suing
- Learn how to correctly name the person or business you are counter-suing and why it is important.
- Be sure your case was filed at the correct court.
- A list of fees charged by the court, the Sheriff and the Secretary of State.
- Filing Court Papers
- Find out your options for filing court documents.
- Serving Court Papers
- How to serve court papers on a person or business.
- Serving a Corporation
- Different rules apply when you serve court papers on a corporation.
- Get witnesses and documents to court.
- Getting Ready For Court
- How to prepare and present your case in court.
- Motion to Vacate
- What to do if you missed your court date.
- Check Your Case Status Online
- Get a case summary from the court online.
- Defendants who lose can appeal the decision and receive a new trial.
- Small Claims Advisor Service
- Free counseling and assistance.
- Mediation Services
- Resolve your dispute without going to court.